Zoning Hearing Board
The Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) is a quasi-judicial body that hears and renders decisions regarding specific types of land use actions. The ZHB functions like a court, although formal court procedures are not necessarily required. The Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (MPC) provides a specific set of rules that must be followed by the ZHB (ZHB Procedures).
The Zoning Hearing Board of the City of Erie consists of a five member body comprised of City residents. Board members are appointed by City Council. Appointments are for five (5) year terms.
Powers and Duties
The Zoning Hearing Board is authorized to conduct hearings and render decisions in specific areas of review including:
- Applications for a variance (from a specific zoning ordinance requirement)
- Applications for a use by special exception
- Appeal from a Zoning Officer’s determination
- Substantive challenges to the validity of any land use ordinance
Zoning Hearing Board meetings are scheduled for the second Tuesday of each month of the calendar year. The meetings are held at 1pm and are located in the Council Chambers of the City of Erie Municipal Building, 626 State Street, Erie PA 16501.
Please note: due to Covid-19 pandemic precautions, the ZHB meeting are being held via Zoom webinar until further notice.
Please contact the zoning office for information regarding application submittal to the ZHB.
Phone Number: (814) 870-1265 or (814) 870-1273
Agendas & Minutes
- In order to be placed on the ZHB agenda, an application must be completed and submitted to the Zoning office along with required attachments and [$300.00] application fee. Applications are due three weeks prior to the meeting date. Payment must be received by the due date in order to be placed on the agenda.