City celebrates Arbor Day with events on Saturday
In honor of Arbor Day, which falls on Friday, April 28 this year, the City of Erie is announcing several events planned for Saturday, April 29.
- 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Frontier Park, LEAF community building: Tree seedling giveaway.
- 9 a.m.: 231 Parade St. Tree planting in the Bayfront Eastside Task Force neighborhood, with help from the Erie County Master Gardeners.
- 10 a.m.: East Perry Square. Tree planting by the Erie Downtown Partnership.
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: East Perry Square. Tree seedling giveaway, courtesy of the Urban Forest Committee and LEAF.
City officials are also marking their 17th-consecutive annual Tree City USA designation, by asking city residents to plant a tree now through May 5th and post photos of it on social media using the hashtags:
Also, as a thank you to those who plant trees for Arbor Day, the City’s partners will also give prizes to five lucky winners who submit tree-planting photos. The deadline to submit your photos is May 5, and winners will be picked on May 8.
For more information about how to upload your photos for the contest, and about the upcoming Arbor Day events and seedling giveaways, go to:
To achieve the Tree City designation in 2022, the City:
- Planted 111 trees
- Pruned 132 trees along streets & in parks
- Removed 183 dead and dying trees
- And provided compost collection of leaves for 10 weeks of the year
The City’s Urban Forest Committee helps to achieve the City’s vision to have a healthy, diverse urban forest ecosystem, made up of native trees and plants in City rights-of-way, public parks, and private properties. These initiatives sustain a diversity of wildlife and are promoted and protected by City-wide policies and dedicated funding.