The Zoning department administers the Zoning Ordinance for the City of Erie [Ordinance Number 80-2005] as authorized under the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (MPC). The zoning ordinance divides all land within the City of Erie into districts and creates regulations that apply generally to the municipality as a whole as well as specifically with individual zoning districts. The zoning ordinance serves a dual purpose: to coordinate and guide development and to provide certain standards for development.

Click here for full size map.

Zoning Approvals & Permitting:

The Zoning department is the first stop for obtaining most construction permits in the City of Erie. The permit approval process varies based on project type, scope of work, and location. Once zoning approval is granted, the project is reviewed by our Building Code officials prior to issuing a permit.

Examples of projects that require zoning review and approval include:

• New building construction
• Interior/exterior renovations to buildings
• Decks and porches
• Parking lots
• Use changes to any part of a building
• Additions/expansions to existing buildings
• Garages, carports and sheds
• Swimming pools
• Sign installation or replacement
• Subdivisions and land development


City of Erie Zoning Ordinance July 2023 Edition
City of Erie Zoning Map July 2023 (PDF)
Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance


The Zoning department investigates possible violations of the zoning regulations set forth in the ordinance.

If you believe you have witnessed a violation please contact the Zoning Office at (814) 870-1265 or (814) 870-1273

Related Information:

Zoning Hearing Board
Waterfront Conditional Use Process
Short-Term Rental Zoning Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

Translate »